Does the President have the power to decline to enforce existing laws or make new ones via Executive Orders?
I say…Hell no! (Re “Executive Order #65..”)
The Constitution only empowers the President to enforce existing laws! That’s why the Liberian National Police, National Security Agency, and the Armed Forces of Liberia are all under the executive branch!.
But the President says (in Executive order #65) that “exiting law requiring persons desiring to march or demonstrate to obtain prior permit from the Ministry of Justice have proven ineffective…”
Can the President tell us why these exiting laws are ineffective? Oh wait, I forgot: The President, acting like a military dictator, thinks that passing Executive Orders would stop CDC goons from blocking productive citizens from going to work or school. Or would stop them vandalizing or looting private property. Or stop them from blocking market women from taking their goods to the general market..
Earth to Grandma Ellen:
What make you think that people who purposely DISOBEY “exiting laws requiring persons desiring to march or demonstrate to obtain prior permit from the Ministry of Justice have proven ineffective…” would OBEY a NEW law (executive order #65) prohibiting mass rallies, demonstrations, and parades during this special election andthe prescribed 30 days thereafter, just because you say so?
Please (Hint: see “Weah, CDC to Protest EJS Executive Order” Frontpageafrica)
During the 2006 presidential election, these were the same CDC goons who went around the country hyping election violence!
Again, during the 2011 election, These same goons stopped productive citizens from going to work or school. They stopped market women from taking their goods to the general markets. They stopped mothers from taking their sick children to the hospitals.
Are you waiting tor these goons to push our country to the brink of anarchy before you start taking them seriously?
Appeasement doesn’t work with these people. The only language the CDC patisans understand is brute force! In other words “when ears don’t hear, backside must feel”
You should AMEND Executive Order #65 as follows:
Where as Article 50 & 53 of the Constitution of 1986 vest “executive power in the president….to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and laws..” of Liberia and
Where as Article 17 states that “All persons, at all times, in orderly and peaceable manner, shall have the right to assemble.. (attention CDC goons: it says “in orderly and peaceable manner”)…and
Where as Article 13a states that “Every person lawfully within the Republic shall have the right to move FREELY throughout Liberia…subject to the safeguarding of public security, public order, public health, or morals or the rights and freedoms of others”..and
Where as Article 11 states that “All persons are born equally free and independent and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which are the right of enjoying and defending life and liberty, and ..possessing and possessing property,..as provided for in this Constitution”
Therefore, I, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of the Republic of Liberia, by virtue of the powers and authority vested in the president by the 1986 Constitution and laws of Liberia, order the following:
1) During all “peaceful protest”, if you throw stones at the police, you will get a good arse whipping from the police, right on the spot! ( see Article 11..defending life, liberty and property!)
2) During all “peaceful protest”, if you throw stones at 3 year old children in school, their parents will be allow to stone you back! (see Article 11..defending life, liberty and property!)
3) If you loot during your so-called “peaceful protest”, you will be held responsible on the spot! (see Article 11..defending life, liberty and property!)
4) If you think you have Ebola and you stay home, the government will pay you a self-quarantine fee for 21 days! (see Article 11 & “Who’s Eating Ebola Money”)
5) If your “peaceful protest” becomes a major nuisance (disturbing the public’s peace!), you will be arrested! You will not be allowed to violate the rights of large numbers of people who are not interested in your so called “peaceful protest”! (see article 13a)!
As you can see, the above amendments are reinforcement of the Constitution, because the Constitution only empowers the president to execute the laws on the books, and not to make new ones via executive orders!!
Um, Madame President, I mean no disrespect, but if you can’t cite specifically as possible, where in the constitution, or what part Liberian laws grant you the power to prohibit mass rallies, demonstrations, and parades during the special elections and 30 days thereafter, please amend Executive Order #65!
Small shame is better than big shame!!!